They say knowledge is power, and that’s certainly the truth when discussing your air conditioner. While complex repairs are best left to professionals, it’s helpful to have a practical understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve general AC issues.
Learning how your AC works and the common problems it faces will enable you to fix simple problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you dollars on minor service calls, but understanding when to call a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into complex repairs.
Your AC is an essential component of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified professional for air conditioning repair in Belton if you're unsure about any aspect of your air conditioner's operation or maintenance.
Here are some frequent questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is a good way to make sure it operates efficiently, and possibly could extend the life of your unit.
The most significant step you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter catches dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those impurities from the air circulating inside your home. If your AC filter becomes plugged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it should in order to force air through the filter. A clean filter catches the airborne debris while still enabling air to flow easily through the system.
Replacement filters are available at most popular home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be bought from your local HVAC expert. A good way to make sure you get the right filter is to look at your old one before you leave for the store, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also helpful to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are hoping to buy something similar.
For detailed service of your air conditioner, contact the skilled professionals like the crew at Myers Furnace Company to do scheduled maintenance on your AC. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that need cleaning and look for worn-out parts and potential problems.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to ensuring your indoor air conditioner equipment is operating efficiently, it’s important to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the exterior unit of your AC is a simple way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which have extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant to the outdoors. This lowers the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can absorb more heat from the air inside your home. Washing the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more efficiently.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut down power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip the power switch off, instead of turning the thermostat off.
2) Remove the top of the outdoor AC so you can access the inside of the unit. Then, being cautious not to strain any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Put a cleaning solution on the fins, starting at the top and then working your way down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as products foaming solutions that are sprayed on with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most brands, it's suggested that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a short period of time to attack the grime and then carefully spray it off with a garden hose. Be careful not to spray very hard, because that could ruin the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the coils and fins to dry before turning it back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner changes depending on the type of unit, its quality, how often it's maintained and how much it's used. That said, pros say you should start getting ready for air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to make the most of your air conditioner is through AC conditioner maintenance. Routine checkups from Myers Furnace Company consists of cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and fixing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as possible, call us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Belton.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Picking out the correct sized air conditioner for your home is critical for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some points to take into account when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The total area of the space you want to cool is one of the biggest factors. Larger spaces demand more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes retain cool air better, which can minimize your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you reside in a hotter climate, you'll require a more powerful air conditioner compared to a homeowner living in a cooler climate.
- Number of windows: Windows frequently let in heat, in particular when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house produce greater body heat, which could influence your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and capability of your current system can provide a place to start for identifying what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your AC is so essential to your home’s comfort, you will likely want a professional opinion. At Myers Furnace Company, we take the time to completely understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s design and size. This attention to detail and dedication to customer service is why Myers Furnace Company is known for exceptional air conditioning installation in Belton.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices differ depending on the brand of the unit and your home’s unique requirements, a new AC generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good news is that new air conditioners are designed to be exceedingly efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is affected by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs in addition to federal regulations that require modifications to the design.
Realize these are average costs and prices can vary. It's always a good idea to get at least a few quotes from trusted HVAC companies before making a purchase. If you’re interested in air conditioning replacement in Belton, contact Myers Furnace Company. We will schedule an appointment to provide you with a free estimate, describe the plan and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
An air conditioner freezing up can be due to a variety of factors, all of which boil down to the failure of your system to efficiently transfer heat. If your air conditioner is having issues causing it to freeze up, it is most likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some common reasons for AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing easily through your AC system, it can't effectively absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, something stopping air from flowing through the return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is starting to get low on refrigerant, it could become too cold and freeze up. This is often the result of leaking in the refrigerant lines.
- Very Chilly outdoor temperatures: Using an air conditioner when it's too cold outside can cause the system to freeze. The majority of units aren't designed to function in temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Faulty thermostats, damaged blower motors and issues with the relay or control board can all result in an AC unit freezing up.
Myers Furnace Company is the Trustworthy Source for Air Conditioning Service in Belton.
At Myers Furnace Company, we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our skilled professionals are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and work on on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us their first call for air conditioning repair in Belton and neighboring towns.
If you’re planning to upgrade or its time for a replacement, we’ve got you covered there too, with our top-notch air conditioning installation in Belton. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact Myers Furnace Company today at 816-249-1619 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!